Friday, September 13, 2013

Karen's Leave-Taking



 


The Gathering, 8 September 2013
  
Seven years ago this month a group of people joined with Divine Spirit and began co-creating something completely and totally unique in San Angelo and in West Texas. This creation gradually became The Gathering UCC. 

I have been privileged and honored (as well as initially surprised) to be the planting pastor of The Gathering.  The experience, as well as the community, are wonderful gifts, and I am excited about The Gathering's future.  So, it is only after much prayer and prayerful conversation, and with much grief, that I have decided that my season in those roles is coming to completion.

The reasons for this decision now include:

1)               A change in my Hospice of San Angelo job time and energy requirements. Because my full-time job is taking up more time and space, I have increasingly less time and  availability for Gathering responsibilities and opportunities. 
2)               Neil and I have been given the incredible gifts of his new life and health.  Increasingly aware of the preciousness of time, I am choosing to spend time with Neil and other family members in ways not related to working or doctor's visits.
3)               I have depleted my internal resources and am weary.  I am choosing to do what we often talk about at The Gathering – slow down, be mindful of the present, observe the Sabbath time of rest.  In addition, my weariness impacts/affects The Gathering. 

Given all the above, I believe The Gathering will be well served by new leadership from someone who has a different kind of availability and energy than do I at this point.

However much I have sown, watered, tended, and loved this sacred community, The Gathering is not my faith community – it is the Spirit’s, it is yours, it is The Gathering’s.  And, if we believe it's God's, then we know it's future is bigger than any one of us in particular. 

Two of the strengths of The Gathering from the beginning is the collaborative, cooperative nature, as well as the depth of creativity and giftedness in the group.  These will serve The Gathering well in the days ahead.  In addition, Rev. Douglas Anders, Conference Minister of the South Central Conference UCC, will help provide guidance and suggest next steps.

We cannot know what’s next.  That’s the scary part, and if allowed, that fear can become overwhelming.  But not knowing what's next is also the exciting part, the hopeful part, the faithful part, because it means again, we're opening ourselves to the dynamic, sacred workings of the Spirit – which is what we've been trying to do since September 2006.  So hear and know again the hope and power offered by these sacred words from thousands of years ago: “See, I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth... I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” (Isaiah 43:19)  

Karen Schmeltekopf

No comments:

Post a Comment